Friday, September 23, 2011

Friendship

    I am sitting in my room tonight just thinking about some things, and I guess I've just been a little naive about friendships in my life. It took me so long to actually have good friendships in my life. I went though school and only have a few people that I still talk to from high school, and maybe a handful that I would consider good friends. Going to the HA you get to know a lot of people, and I guess I thought more people I would stay in contact with, but still there's only a few that I still talk to on a regular basis. But why is that? Why are people (myself included) so bad at staying in contact with others? There are people that I have met in my life that I really tried to invest in a relationship with, yet since being out of the HA we haven't said more than 2 words to each other.
   But what makes a true friend? Does it mean you call each other every day or even text each other every day? No, it doesn't. But I think what a true friendship is, is when you may not talk to the person every day.. but you know exactly who to call when you need prayer or encouragement or something exciting just happened. Those true friends are the ones you turn to first. Because you know that they live life with you. You can talk about something great that happened, and then the next minute cry your eyes out and 2 seconds later laugh again. Those people I know I can count on. They've seen me through the worst times in my life, and they have stuck by me. And they have also been with me when everything is going great in my life, and they celebrate with me. Those are the types of friends I want to keep around.
  I understand that not everyone is going to be my best friend, and I don't think I'd want a ton of best friends, and my best friends know who they are, and those girls will never be replaced. I know I have been blessed by them. But you don't have to be someone's best bud to be an encouragement to them. You just have to listen. If you have a willing heart they may feel they can open up to you, and that's also a friend. Friendships can come in many different forms, and I'm grateful for all of my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment